Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Lazarus Project pp. 164-238

Reading this story is quite interesting. As the story progresses, I get more and more interested, because honestly from the beginning I wasn't liking the story too much because it was confusing me. And I have to admit, sometimes I am wondering what exactly is going on...but the story is quite good. It seems to be just like a buddies story if you know what I mean. Like Tom and Huck but Brik and Rora. They have a funny relationship because Brik is always asking philosophical questions or trying to learn more about Rora and Rora is constantly telling him to just shut up or asking him why he wants to know so much. Like on page 210 Rora says, "You ask questions, you want to know more but no matter how much more I tell you, you will never know anything. That's the problem." And that really could be the problem for Brik. He's constantly in the search of something more, to know the answers to all of the questions he has and he isn't asking the right questions or even in the search of the right thing. I don't know, maybe that's possibly what Rora is trying to tell him.

This narrator also seems to be quite anti-American, which I guess is understandable in his case. He says on page 189, "I told that to be American you have to know nothing and understand even less, and that I did not want to be American." Also, "I realized that my center had shifted--it used to be in my stomach, but now it was in my breast pocket, where I kept my American passport and a wad of cash" (177). So by this I get that he thinks Americans are ignorant and all they care about is money...which is by and large true. It is really sad that this is the American image, that this is our reputation, not good.

I feel like Brik is going to make some kind of grand realization by the end of this story, whether it be about Lazarus or about himself, probably both. But I feel like all these questions have to yield answers at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment