The relationship between Brik and Mary is obviously extremely strained. But I guess not that obviously not that I think about it. Maybe they struggle in the same way any married couple does. That they go on living day to day being afraid that their spouse may not come back that evening or that you're feeling like the slacker in the relationship and feel guilty for it. But, somehow I really don't think that's how a healthy relationship should be fashioned. Brik says stuff life, "I imagined Mary not coming home from the hospital," (30) or when talking about their relationship he says, "She was beautiful; my breath was taken; we were still lonely; she said yes." (32). It just seems like a broken relationship and the reason Brik needs to go back to Bosnia with Rora is because he is in the search of adventure so he doesn't have to be bogged down by his home life. He even says on page 72, "The daily work of love was often hard to perform at home. While she was in the hospital, I longed for her, and when she came back she was too tired to attend to my needs and desires. . . someone had to earn the money." All I know about reading these pages is that it's probably a pretty accurate view of how marriages can become if you don't work on them and I just pray that someday I never end up like this.
The Rora-Brik relationship also really intrigues me because I feel like Rora is about to really expand Brik's mind. Rora is just some completely easy going and an artist at heart and I don't feel like Brik really is quite in touch with just the beauty of art and things going on around him as Rora is. For instance, when he invites him to come to Bosnia, Rora's response is, "Why not. I've got nothing else to do" (page 50), or when Rora decides to take pictures of Brik on page 35 and Brik questions him on it, Rora's response is, "Why not? Every face is a landscape." They just seem to have completely conflicting attitudes and their relationship is interesting and is probably going to be quite significant by the end of the story. I'm excited to see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment