Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Contrasting Views

As I've been reading this story of Chris' crazy, adventurous life in The Same River Twice, along the way I keep picking up on Chris' fear as an adult in the section of the memoir when he is about to be a father, and then his complete lack of fear/almost innocence when he's young. Maybe you could almost classify this story as a coming of age story, a bildungsroman if you will. But I guess maybe all memoirs are like that? They have to have some sort of story to tell and something to teach the readers as they go along.

Some of the fear I caught onto was after Rita had the amniotic fluid taken from the uterus to make sure everything was okay with the baby. Chris says on page 57, "The baby was missing an ounce of life already, a shot glass of amniotic fluid, like drought. I sat on the bed and apologized to Rita's belly for our invasion." This really struck me because I had never thought of this simple test like this before. That we, as doctors, parents, scientists (basically just human beings who are already on earth) could be stripping someone of life before they're even born. There's always something that the world wants from us, and it can start even before we're born. Another interesting quote pulling in Chris' knowledge of literature and Freudian psychology was on page 58 when he says, "Oedipus didn't fulfill his own destiny, he lived up to his father's terror." Again just displaying his fear to be a father.

Now on the counter side of that, while Chris is traveling with the circus, he seems to have no fear at all, but he is with people that do, like The Parrot Woman. She talks about how she willingly became a freak when all the other "freaks" that work for the circus were dealt the cards of fate for their freakness. She says, "I hate them because they're what I was in secret, before the tattoos. I was a freak too. You just couldn't tell. I was tired of hurting on the inside, like them. I hate my tattoos and I hate the men who pay to see them. Nobody knows about my inside. . ." (page 107). This really spoke to me because I think a lot (I would even venture to say most) of the people in our society feel like they need to bottle up whatever they're struggling with and keep the pain inside. But this girl, she decides to make her pain apparent for all to see through her tattoos, and when this happens she's not accepted. It makes me wonder, if everyone were completely true, honest, and open with their feelings how different the world may be?

No comments:

Post a Comment