I'll begin with Pound's "In a Station of the Metro." The title leads me to believe this is obviously in an urban area since the setting is a station of the metro. "The apparition (which yes I did look up that it's a ghostlike figure...so i suppose that's my vocab word of the week) of the faces in the crowd," (line 1) makes me think the faces are all blank and no one truly pays attention to them. The words "wet" and "black" also suggest a mellow and dark tone. I feel like this can relate to the students of Clemson walking around campus to their class on the first day. They're semi blank because everyone is tired and not used to getting up early from their previous long break. The students are anxious and unaware of their surroundings because about all their brains can focus on in those moments is where their class is and, "What in the world is this new semester going to be like?!" Although, I do not believe the first day of class should offer a gloomy tone as this poem does, to some people it is extremely anxiety-provoking and could, in fact, be construed that way.
The second poem, "Photography of My Father in His Twenty-Seond Year" by Raymond Carter I especially loved (and I can't say that about most poetry). I felt like Carter started off in the first stanza doing and excellent job of laying the scene. Even by starting of by simply saying, "October" (line 1) the reader receives a mental image of leaves changing, a time for new beginnings, the old gone and the new to come. Carter, by implementing diction such as, "embarassed," "sheepish," bold," and "hearty," he shows us what type of character this man was. One of my favorite lines, (line 10), "All his life my father wanted to be bold," shows how this man was always striving to be noble and upstanding, but certainly had his flaws as well. Right in line 11 is where the turn begins, "But the eyes give him away..." He's a sweet man, who apparently can't hold his liquor, as his child can relate to him, and loves to fish. I feel like the photograph taken that his child is looking at and reminiscing upon was a good day for this man. He is having a good ol' time drinking a beer and catching fish. I truly like this poem because it made me chuckle at the end because I too would have no idea where a good place is to fish. I relate to this because I too hold my own father on a high pedestal. Although, just like the father in the poem, my dad is not perfect, but he is a wonderful dad and I love him dearly...which is exactly how the speaker feels in this poem. I suppose I could be missing something here, but I think this is a feel-good poem meant to make the readers smile, and it accomplished that task.
Grace, I must say I'm very impressed with your blogs. Your vernacular has surpassed my every expectation and the length of your blogs puts J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter books to shame. You also show some incredibly deep thoughts about the poems and stories. The quotes are seamlessly integrated into the writing with ease. I like your honesty as well. You will admit to being unsure about some themes given in the poems, but you're not afraid to dive out there and take a stab at your interpretation of the meaning. Overall, reading your blogs was an oh so wonderful experience, better, I'd say, than fresh cookies.
ReplyDelete